Music: Drag Me Down

by - 10:25 AM

So I warned you I'd probably talk about One Direction at some point. That point has come.


At around 1 a.m. last night, right when I was about to go to sleep, One Direction pulled a Beyoncé and dropped a brand new single without any promo. Within half an hour, it had shot to number one on iTunes in almost 80 countries, breaking a record in the process. 

For good reason. The song is catchy as hell, and reminiscent of bands like The Police and Fleetwood Mac, as many people have been commenting in reviews of the song. Now, Fleetwood Mac is one of my most favorite bands of all time, and on first listen I wasn't sure why people thought it felt like them. But then I listened to it again - and again, and again - and I urge you to do so as well, paying good attention to the instrumentation. It's the rhythm guitar on the choruses and the rollicking bass line on the verses that hearkens back to songs like Rhiannon or Little Lies. It's a tried-and-true formula and I, for one, love the band's commitment it; it satisfies my little '70s pop rock heart.

The voices are split well on the parts - quite possibly my favorite thing about the song is how Liam got to let his lower range shine. The boy has a beautiful baritone, and he's never really gotten to show it off until now, which makes me excited for the other music from the album we have yet to hear. Harry really shines on the riffs at the end of the song, filling in for and actually sounding quite similar to former bandmate Zayn. Frankly, the only thing about the song I don't like is that you can hear where Zayn's voice would have fit into the song really well. I yearn for a reunion one day where we can hear him sing on the track. 

"Drag Me Down" also really shows how far the boys have come since their days on The X Factor. I for one am really proud of them. It's a slick, fun, and upbeat song that has the potential to get stuck in people's heads on the regular. It's already stuck in mine. I'm just gonna say it - "Drag Me Down" is the new song of the summer.

You May Also Like

0 comments