A Massive Theatre-Related Post!

by - 10:12 AM

I've been away for a long time. It wasn't intentional, I promise - I was just very busy in a musical theatre intensive for two weeks, and then assistant stage managing a show while in an emotional slump for the week after that ended.

So this is kind of just a life update post, as well as some theatre recommendations. I hope that's okay!

From July 6th thru July 17th, I participated in the American Academy of Dramatic Arts' (AADA for short) Two Week Musical Theatre Intensive. It was easily one of the best, most fun, most exhausting two weeks of my life, and I kind of wish I could do it all over again. 

Over the course of those two weeks, the other thirteen students in the class and I took four classes - Vocal Technique, Song Interpretation, Jazz/Tap, and Acting Exercises - in which we worked on one song both vocally and storytelling-wise, learned part of the Ann Reinking choreography for All That Jazz (from Chicago), and focused on our improv skills and audition monologues. It was a lot, and it was hard at times, but I know I learned so much from the things we worked on, and so did my friends.

We all bonded really well, which was unsurprising. What was surprising was just how close we became so quickly, and how much we didn't want to leave each other. I'm fairly certain we're going to be in each others lives for a while, even though some of them live overseas. In fact, I'm going to Schmackary's with three of them tonight! 


Look at these gorgeous people!!
Sadly our time together in the program did have to end, and when I left I returned to work assistant stage managing for a beautiful new musical entitled "Rachel: The Musical." No, it's not about me - it's about Rachel Carson, the marine biologist and environmentalist who wrote Silent Spring, a book exposing the dangers of a pesticide used in the mid-1900s called DDT. It was the musical's world premiere at the Fresh Fruit Festival last Monday, and it had it's last performance in the festival on Saturday. But keep your eyes open - there was some low rumbling about a potential transfer, so if you want to see it you might have a chance!

I also have seen quite a bit of theatre in the last few weeks, so I'm just gonna go through what I saw and give a little overview and rating out of 5 stars. I'd definitely recommend seeing all of the shows though, if you can.

Les Misérables - It was actually the fourth time I'd seen this show, and the second time I'd seen this staging. I'm also not sure you really need a summary, so I'll just go ahead and rate it. 5/5 stars!

On The Town - Three sailors - Gabey, Chip, and Ozzie - have 24 hours off their ship to spend in New York City. They have a madcap adventure around town in their search for the beautiful Ivy Smith, Miss Turnstiles for the month of June, after Gabey sees her picture in the subway. Complete with great music and incredible choreography by Jerome Robbins, I'd give this one 5/5 stars as well!

It Shoulda Been You - Jenny is the wedding planner for her younger sister Rebecca's wedding, and she wants it to be absolutely perfect so her mother (played by the inimitable Tyne Daly) will stop picking on her for not having her life together (even though she does, thank you very much). Unfortunately, over the course of the wedding, some unexpected secrets come out and things do not go as Jenny planned. everything turns out fine in the end, it's a comedy! There were a couple songs in the show that probably weren't all that necessary, but I enjoyed this one the most out of everything i saw; I'd give it a 4.5/5 stars! - This closes August 9th, so go see it soon if it sounds like something you'd enjoy.

Avenue Q - The adult - very adult - version of Sesame Street. I don't think you need more than that. I feel like this show was so hyped up that I was expecting way more than I got. I definitely liked the show and had a good time, but I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. I have to give it a 3/5 stars.

The Wild Party - Queenie and Burr run an underground nightclub during the Prohibition era. When Burr rapes Queenie, she stages a party to get back at him, but the arrival of a Mr. Black sends her plans down a path she never intended. This was an Encores! production, which unfortunately means it only played a limited number of performances, but I'm hoping it gets transferred somewhere, because it was pretty incredible. The music is lush with gorgeous instrumentation and harmonies, and the acting and singing was stellar all around. My only problem with this production was that the plot felt a little thin at some points. I give it a 4/5 stars.

Significant Other - Twenty-something Jordan Berman (played by my boy Gideon Glick) slowly watches his friends all find love and get married, while he can't seem to find any guy that wants to love him the way he wants them to. I'd call this a dramedy, and it's only the show on this list that isn't a musical, but it might also be my favorite one. It's funny without being insensitive, serious without hitting you over the head, and heartfelt without being soppy. And for someone in her twenties and starting that part of her life, it definitely hit kind of close to home. 5/5 stars, for sure.

That's it, folks! I hope your summers are going well and you're finding worthwhile things to do with your time. I'll be back tomorrow with a post, I think. Not sure what it's going to be yet though.

Much love,
Rachel Shoshanna

You May Also Like

1 comments