Technological Failures and Musical Successes

by - 9:04 PM



I promise I was trying to put up a post! I literally just spent three days trying to embed audio into an audition GRWM/how-to post, but had to give up in order to retain my sanity. Clearly, HTML and coding is not something towards which I am inclined.

That's okay though, because I am inclined to singing and dancing, which was helpful for my musical theatre showcase auditions this week. It was definitely stressful, and I spent a good 72 hours this week having yet another vocal identity crisis, but after talking to the music director and finally finding out what songs to bring in for the head of the department on Monday, I'm feeling really good about the whole thing. I wanted some more small group numbers and I only have one, but it's 'The Negative' from 'Waitress,' which I've already worked on before and love. The solos that they've given me to bring in are also great - 'A Cockeyed Optimist' from 'South Pacific,' the standard 'I'll Be Seeing You,' 'Here I Am' from 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels,' 'A Fine, Fine Line' from 'Avenue Q,' and 'What Baking Can Do' from 'Waitress.' 

But by far the best part of this week was the dance audition we had on Wednesday. It was mostly for figuring out where each person in the group lies on the dance spectrum - mover, strong mover, and dancer. I'd qualify myself as a dancer, and there are a number of us in the group. But beyond that, the majority of our group are really strong movers, and we had a blast learning a jazz style combination from 'Elf,' and, for the people who wanted to tap (which again, was most of us), a really fun combo from 'Something Rotten.' The discovery that we were all pretty inclined towards dancing definitely inspired our director, because he keeps talking in vague terms about this cool, collaborative idea for the show that hasn't been done at our school before. 

As you might imagine, we're all very excited. I'll keep you updated as things are solidified and we get into rehearsals, but I think it's going be a really good show.

Much love,
Rachel Shoshanna

You May Also Like

0 comments