ColourPop Holiday Collection

by - 3:23 PM

Black Friday sales are always tempting, whether or not you're someone who usually partakes in Black Friday. I'm not, typically - frankly, I think it's evil and exemplifies the worst of capitalism, but that's a post for another day. However, sometimes a good sale is too hard to pass up, and the one I let myself indulge in was ColourPop's. I got my hands on a few things from their current holiday collection, and after playing with them for a bit, I feel like like I finally have my thoughts thoroughly collected.

                                           

                                                 


After watching ThatGirlShaeXO's haul video detailing the new releases, I decided on the Dusk 'till Dawn SuperShock Shadow Collection, containing six new shades, and two of the Ultra Glossy Lips, purely because of the fact that I didn't already own anything like these colors. Here are swatches of all of them.


I'll just get the glosses out of the way, because they're both fab. The colors (Believe Me and Imagine) are vibrant, despite the fact that they are glosses, and even though there's a shit ton of glitter in them, it doesn't look chunky or feel gritty or gloopy. They just give, as their name would suggest, an ultra glossy sheen to the lips that is perfect for a festive holiday look. If you're not into the maintenance that a gloss requires at a party where you're probably going to be eating and drinking a lot, they also look really great over a matte liquid lip - that way, you get the lasting power of the liquid lip and the moisture and shine of the gloss in one look. 




Before I get into these specific shadows, I want to preface this with the fact that I already love the ColourPop SuperShock formula. The texture, as I'm sure you all know, is a really cool almost cream-to-powder, in that it feels sort of wet when you touch it, but blends out as easily as regular powder shadows do when it's on your lids. They tend to work best with a synthetic brush or finger - typically, I use a finger to apply mine. All in all, they are a really easy shadow formula to work with, and you can create any kind of look, from an every day one-and-done kind of deal to a super high fashion/editorial look.

That is honestly the only way I'd apply these particular shades. Feel free to pick up a brush to blend out edges once they're on, but for the best payoff of color and sparkle, just using your finger is optimal. Don't mistake this for me disliking the shadows, though. I really, truly love every single one of these shades - I think it's just a matter of figuring out how they are best used. 

I feel like this collection lends itself really well to more editorial eyeshadow looks. Any of them would look extremely high fashion just smeared all over the lid and through the crease. I don't know that they all qualify as duochrome, but all of them have a base that is one color (or not much color at all, as is the case with New Magic and Goodish), and sparkles that are one or more other colors, creating a really dimensional, reflective look. New Magic is one of my favorite shades because of this - the base is a very translucent white, with blue and green reflect in it, but all over the lid it almost has a glossy effect that is really striking (also, it can even look pink at certain angles?? I'm still trying to figure it out, it's beautiful). Another favorite for this dramatic all-over-the-lid look is Half Light - it has a maroon base, with a ton of green and gold reflect in it, so much so that it can look straight up metallic green in some lights and angles, and mostly red with a ton of sparkle in others.

However, if you're more into a classic halo eye, or some other every day , you can still come up with some really great ideas when you use these with some more matte shadows. I would classify Stargirl, Half Light, Babykins, and Slay Bells as all-over-the-lid and outer corner shades, as they are the colors with stronger bases. Stargirl is an elevated rose gold, Babykins  is a brownish red with a ton of purple and pink reflect, and Slay Bells  is a deep chocolate with red and gold reflect. New Magic and Goodish would be what I consider shadow toppers, or even inner corner highlights, because of how translucent their bases are, though where New Magic is white, Goodish is a pinkish lavender. The sparkle in them is honestly incredible and brings any look to another level.

Honestly, the only negative thing I have to say about what I got is that the glitter kind of gets everywhere, but when you use products with glitter in them, that's sort of what you signed up for. I don't regret spending any of my $$$ on these products, and I've already gotten a couple really cool looks out of them. I used them for a performance I just had, and I'm using them again next week for a Christmas party, and the excitement is real.

Until next time, and happy holidays!!

You May Also Like

0 comments