Reflection: Twelfth Night

by - 5:29 PM


I was going to do a fashion post today, but I've been low-key sad all day and I'd like to just do a quick little post to reflect on what has been one of the best experiences of my college career.

If you know me in real life, you know that last weekend I wrapped up being in a production of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. I played Maria, serving maid to the Lady Olivia and plotter of great schemes with Sir Toby Belch and Sir Andrew Aguecheek. She is one of my favorite Shakespearean characters - funny and smart and a quick-thinker, and just a touch evil. (Well, I'd like to think of her as more vindictive.) Having the opportunity to play her, in my first real appearance in one of Billy Shakes' plays, was incredible, but honestly? More than half of this was due to my director and fellow cast-members. 

Everyone involved with this production was so supremely talented, and kind, and wonderful to get to know. Since rehearsals started at the end of February, I've managed to make a whole host of new close friends, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Most everyone involved are also underclassmen.

I knew I would like my castmates, but I never expected to find people I would get along with this well or come to love so wholeheartedly, and it's sad for me to have to leave them after only knowing them for three months. I want to do more plays with them, I want to have more parties with them, and I want to be able to have more conversations with them, get to know them even better.

Alas, the fates would not have it be so. I still have a whole Senior Week to go until graduation, and most of these friends left either yesterday or today. But as sad as I am right now, I know that this isn't the last I'll talk to them or see them. We all have phones and Facebooks, and I definitely plan on visiting sometime next year. I'm actually going to try to be good about staying in touch with people for once. We'll be fine.

To my friends, I'm sure you're all sick of me getting emotional on you, but too bad. I hope you know how grateful I am to you and how much you make me smile. For now, our play is done, but this is definitely not the end.



You May Also Like

0 comments