Living the High Life

by - 9:34 PM

Yesterday I spent the afternoon and evening in New York City with two good friends from my college, Celine and Jenna. Since it was July 3rd and gorgeous out, we decided that we should actually spend the day outside and walked nearly the entire length of the High Line.






Even though I'm from New York, I'd never been on the High Line before, so it was really lovely to finally see what was so special about it. The greenery and flowers lining the path were beautiful, and the views of the city were pretty spectacular. We started at the 14th St. and 10th entrance, and walked all the way to the end at 34th and 12th, which probably took around an hour and a half (correct me if I'm wrong guys!), and then walked east towards Madison Square Garden, which is in fact a sports and concert arena and not a garden - sorry Celine!

After that we attempted to get rush or lotto tickets for a show, but since it was a holiday weekend all of them had been taken during the morning rush. We tried our luck at the TKTS booth, which had the shortest lines I've ever seen there, but everything was just this side of too expensive, so we cut our losses and headed to dinner instead. We're going to try again on Friday though, I think, so fingers crossed for better luck then.

We had dinner at a restaurant called Thalia, in the theater district, which is one of my favorite restaurants in the city. It has a really fun, cool vibe and some really inventive drinks on their cocktail menu - my favorite is their sake mojito, but last night we all tried one called the Bee's Knees (gin, honey, and lemon juice) that was quite potent, but also very good. The food is also delicious; if I had to classify it, I guess it would be American, but they've also got a lot of really good pastas, as well as sushi and dishes with more Asian-inspired flavors. I had the seared Ahi tuna, and Celine and Jenna went for pasta - one was their squid ink capellini and the other was the zucchini as pasta. They were nice enough to let me try a little bit of theirs, and I can verify that they were both delicious. Go to Thalia is basically what I'm saying.

After a long dinner, we decided to hit a rooftop bar. My dad had recommended the Press Lounge to me after he was invited there for a work function, and even though the drinks are definitely on the expensive side, it's worth it for the views. We got there in time to watch the sun set over the Hudson River (the bar is on 11th Ave. between 47th and 48th) and ordered glasses of wine to sip on while we talked at the balcony. Look at how cute and cool we are!
That's Celine in the middle and Jenna on the right.
All in all, it was a great day spent with some great people. Hopefully we get to do it again soon!

Much love,
Rachel Shoshanna

Visit Celine's art and travel blog: Paper Castles

Visit Jenna's humor blog: How Are You Not Much

You May Also Like

0 comments