Summer Wardrobe Staples

by - 7:55 PM


Living in NYC, it’s imperative that you find ways to stay cool in the summer - the humidity here could knock out the strongest woman. Lightweight fabrics and as little material as possible without feeling overexposed (for me, at least - you do you!) are key for me feeling comfortable, even when I feel sticky as hell. Here’s a peek at the pieces in my wardrobe that I love for those hot summer days.

1. Rompers
Madewell; free people; American Eagle

Rompers are a really useful piece of clothing when you have thick thighs like me - there’s not too much tight fabric making you hot, but you’ve still got that barrier between your legs to keep them from rubbing too bad. These are all of the ones I have, and I love them all, but I’ve especially been loving the middle white one from free people this summer.

2. Chambray
Madewell; Old Navy; GAP

Chambray is commonly mistaken for denim, which it isn’t. It’s actually usually linen or cotton, grained to look like denim, which makes it considerably more lightwight. These are three chambray shirts that I own that I’ve been loving this summer. I love it in a button down, clearly, but you can also find really nice chambray dresses, and I also love that it’s easy to make casual and dress up.

3. Flowy dresses
GAP; Old Navy

Despite my thick thighs, I do love wearing dresses in the summer - you just pull one thing on and you’re out the door. As long as they breathe enough, it’s probably the easiest thing you can wear during summer, minus maybe a tank and a pair of shorts. I thought I’d show my favorite (read: only) maxidress and my favorite jersey dress, just for a little variety.

4. Denim shorts/skirts
American Eagle; GAP

If you want to let your legs out during the summer, a good pair of jean shorts is a necessity. I actually have three pairs, all of which I love, but this one pictured has a really comfortable relaxed fit that I’ve been gravitating towards recently. A denim skirt is also a really useful thing - I love this style, with the buttons down the front, because it makes it really easy to look pulled together without looking too stuffy.

5. Crop tops
American Eagle; Zara; Madewell; Zara

I love a good crop top. I feel like they’re flattering on pretty much everyone, and they’re also a fun way to experiment more with patterns and textiles. All of these hit me just above the belly button, which is cropped enough for me, but obviously you can go higher if you want to! I love the whimsy of the camera print one, and the lace one from Madewell is also great with a bralette underneath on super hot days.


It’s pretty obvious what colors I gravitate towards during these months. Something about blue and white, with touches of color here and there, makes me feel less weighed down, and looking at them makes me feel so chilled out - which is exactly what I need in the summer.

I hope this post gave you wardrobe ideas! Share your favorite summer pieces with me in the comments below, and don't forget to check my most recent video 😁

You May Also Like

0 comments