Another Life Update + NYC Faves

by - 12:53 PM

I'm back after again, after a... two-month long hiatus? Maybe I just shouldn't have a blog.

No, but to be honest, I've had tons of post ideas and just no time and/or energy to write them. I've been super busy with my paying job (holiday season in retail can, in fact, be quite draining) and with my other job as assistant stage manager to a new play produced by Theatre 167 and happening at the West End Theater (in the Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew) on the Upper West Side.

It's a beautiful play called Mourning Sun, by playwright and actor Antu Yacob, about an Ethiopian girl named Biftu being forced into a child marriage and the physical and emotional scars it leaves her experiencing. Even with such a bleak premise, the show manages to convey a message of hope and perseverance, all intertwined with nuanced explorations of race, identity, female sexuality, and the immigrant experience. It's been a privilege to work on what I think is an extremely important production, and if you are in the New York area and have the chance, I would highly recommend going to see it. 

Though I guess I am biased.

Because I've spent so much time in the city these last few months, I've had time to explore new-ish parts of a city that I've known my whole life but never really took the time to appreciate in it's entirety until now. This is especially exciting to me now that I am (finally!!) moving into the city with one of my best friends since I was five in January. As a result I have a few general life favorites, in addition to my play, that have come as a result of walking around this amazing city with new eyes. 

In no particular order -


  • Duane Reade. Especially if you can find the ones with the huge beauty sections. In addition to affordable makeup, they carry more high end brands like Cargo and The Balm (their highlighters are seriously the BALM dot com. Ha.)
  • The Village, both of the East and West variety. Though vibe of the East Village is a little more my speed, the architecture of the West Village is beautiful, and the history is vitally important to the character of the neighborhood. Have some pictures from when I was walking around down there a few weeks ago:












At least the city of New York acknowledges her role in the Stonewall Riots!
(Ahem. Looking at you, Roland Emmerich/Hollywood.)


  • Amsterdam Avenue. Endless supply of delicious restaurants/bars, and some fun boutique-type stores. My favorite of favorites is Jacob's Pickles, because I love pickles. And comfort food. And good (wheat) beer. All of which they have in adundance. 
  • Any of the parks. Central Park is always a classic, but I also like getting a snack and sitting in Washington Square Park to people watch. 
  • The Guggenheim. I actually had never been there before, at least in my memory, until a few weeks ago when I went with my friend Celine and her friend Teresa. Not only is the actual building as impressive as it looks in pictures, but the artwork featured right now on the inside was like nothing I'd ever seen before. The exhibit is called Alberto Burri: The Trauma of Painting, and you should definitely take the time to go see it. It's there until January 6th, so hurry up!


  • Winter. This may sound silly, but New York really was just made for cold weather, hot drinks, and the holiday season. I may be Jewish, but it's hard not to get excited when you get to stumble on the Rockefeller Center tree being put up and see the build-up to the unveiling of the Saks Fifth Avenue windows. Snow might not be much of a thing here unless you're really lucky, but the atmosphere of the city at this time of the year is unparalleled for me.



Obviously this is open now. Hopefully my mom and I will take our
(mostly) annual visit to them soon!


Well that's it for today guys! It was kind of all over place, but it fits with my life right now, I guess. I've been doing a lot of reading recently, so up next is probably going to be a rundown/mini-reviews of my favorites that I've come across or revisited. Until next time!

Much love,
Rachel Shoshanna

You May Also Like

0 comments